No more delays in Duterte impeachment trial, Senate told

By Kevin Ortiz and Anne Marxze D. Umil

MANILA – Despite the rains, progressive groups led by Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) protested in front of the Senate of the Philippines on May 18 calling for the immediate trial of Vice President Sara Duterte and for the arrest of Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa.  

Jerome Adonis, Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) chairperson, said that Duterte should be found guilty in the impeachment trial. He said that the main reason people gathered for the large rally outside was to witness the proceedings and hold officials accountable to the Filipino people.

“We should not allow thieves to escape accountability and continue living comfortably,” Adonis said in Filipino. 

Raymond Palatino, Bayan secretary-general, was enraged over what he described as the Senate’s orchestrated efforts as regards delays in Duterte’s impeachment trial and Dela Rosa’s escape from the warrant issued by the International Criminal Court. 

“The Senate should not become an institution that protects the corrupt and murderers. If the Senate refuses to act, then we, the people, are ready to take action,” Palatino said in Filipino. 

When asked why she joined the protest, Fatima Mendoza of the University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman student council said that this is not the time to remain silent. “We have the strength to bring down rotten leadership. This was shown by the more than 8,000 Iskolar ng Bayan who staged a walkout last year.”

Later that day, the Senate convened as an impeachment court for Duterte’s trial. The Makabayan bloc said, “This is a necessary constitutional step toward accountability.” 

The progressive legislators stressed that they expect the Senate to perform their duty with “seriousness and dispatch.” 

“We call on Vice President Duterte to promptly submit her answer to the articles of impeachment and to fully recognize the jurisdiction of the Senate impeachment court. There should be no more dilatory tactics, no attempts to evade or question the legitimacy of the process, and no political maneuvers to delay the presentation of evidence and the start of the trial. Let’s get it on,” Makabayan said. 

They urged the public to engage in what they call an important process because without public vigilance, “the pro- Duterte senators can move to delay the trial, suppress evidence and win their way towards an acquittal.”

“At the end of the day, public pressure is key to ensuring the conviction of VP Duterte,” they said. 

Bayan also called for sustained public vigilance and street protests. “Last week’s chaotic events exposed how corrupt and lawless Senators can maneuver to provide sanctuary for Senator Bato dela Rosa in order to get his vote for a change of leadership; subsequently, to facilitate his escape despite a valid warrant issued by the ICC for his major role in Rodrigo Duterte’s so-called drug war,” Bayan said in a statement. 

“These same spurious ‘majority’—composed of out-and-out Duterte loyalists, many with plunder cases hovering over their heads, and some very ambitious personalities—can and will certainly conspire to undermine the impeachment of Sara Duterte by delaying the proceedings, restricting the presentation of evidence, and creating scenarios to weaken the trial,” they said. 

They called on the public to remain vigilant, form or join “Impeachment Watch” activities in schools, communities and workplaces; step up protests against impunity; and continue the fight for truth, accountability, and justice. (DAA)

The post No more delays in Duterte impeachment trial, Senate told appeared first on Bulatlat.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.